Instant Pot 13 Bean Soup
This 13 bean soup mix from Azure Standard (you can find 15 bean soup mix at your local stores) is loaded with heart healthy beans, your meat of choice, fresh onions, garlic, celery, and carrots with just enough spice and flavoring to keep you coming back for seconds. The great thing about this soup is you can add any choice of meat you have available. Ground or link sausage, ham bones, ham hocks, and smoked neck bones have all been used in this soup around our house. This soup is great served with cornbread, but crackers work well in a pinch too!
1. Soak beans overnight or use the quick soak method.
2. Sautee, in lard or olive oil, chopped onions, carrots, & celery for 3-4 minutes in the Instant Pot.
3. Add sausage of choice and cook. If using ham hocks brown both sides (they will completely cook when beans cook). Once meat is cooked, add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add beans, seasonings, tomato paste, broth & water.
5. If dried beans were soaked overnight, pressure cook for 30 minutes. If you used the quick soak method, pressure cook for 40 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaves & enjoy.
1 pound (3 cups) dried bean soup mix
4 cloves garlic
2 celery stalks
4 c. chicken stock
3 c. water
2 tbsp. tomatoe paste
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
2 bay leaves
salt/pepper to taste