Lard and Butter Pie Crust
Flakey & delicious with added healthy fats, this pie crust is made using fat from beef and pigs. Lard and butter are the key ingredients for making a flavorful pie.
1. Add all the ingredients except the ice water to a large bowl.
2. With clean cold hands, blend the mixture together until it comes together but has lumps in it. The lumps are what make the flaky pies.
3. Sprinkle ice water over mixture and stir lightly with a fork.
4. Squeeze the dough together, adding water as needed to make the dough come together. Remember to keep your hands cold, as warm hands will melt the butter & lard.
5. Divide the dough in half and make 2 disks.
6. Wrap the disk separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
7. Remove disk from wrap & place on a well-floured surface.
8. Add flour to rolling pin & top of disk of dough & begin rolling out. If dough is too hard & cracks let, get to room temperature.
9. Roll dough until about 1 inch larger than pie pan.
10. Roll dough onto rolling pin & place in pie pan. Shape dough & cut off excess.
11. Fill with pie filling & repeat for the top. OR use the second disk for another pie crust.
2-1/4 cups kamut flour or 2-1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tbs salted or unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
8 Tbs lard
8 Tbs of ice water (The dough might take more or less.)